Monday , 17 August 2026
Home Business Policy Trump Orders Major Cut to U.S.-South Korea Military Drills
Policy

Trump Orders Major Cut to U.S.-South Korea Military Drills

Trump

President Donald Trump has directed the Pentagon to substantially reduce the scope of joint military exercises with South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, the cost of the drills and what he described as an inappropriate and hostile signal to Pyongyang.

Trump announced the decision Sunday in a post on Truth Social, saying he was unhappy that the United States had committed to participating in the exercises. He argued that much of the cost is paid by the United States and said North Korea has been “unthreatening and respectful” toward the U.S. during his presidency. Trump said it was too late to cancel the exercises entirely, but that he had instructed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to “substantially reduce” them.

The announcement came as the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise was beginning. The U.S.-South Korean drills are scheduled to continue through August 27, with South Korea saying the exercise would proceed as previously planned despite Trump’s announcement.

North Korea has repeatedly condemned the annual exercises, which are held each summer alongside the springtime Freedom Shield drills. Pyongyang has characterized them as provocative and described this year’s exercise as a rehearsal for an aggressive war. Earlier in August, North Korea also conducted at least two ballistic missile launches that were viewed as a protest against the planned drills.

Trump also appeared to connect the decision to tensions with South Korea over the war involving Iran, although he described the issue as unrelated. He said he had recently asked South Korean President Lee Jae-myung whether Seoul would join the U.S. effort to denuclearize Iran and received a negative response. Reuters reported that the dispute over Seoul’s refusal to participate in U.S. actions against Iran was among the reasons Trump cited for seeking the reduction.

Kim Jong Un has previously expressed conditional openness to improved relations with Washington. Speaking at the Workers’ Party gathering in February, Kim said North Korea could get along with the United States if Washington respected the country’s status as a nuclear power and abandoned what he called its hostile policy. He said the possibility of dialogue depended on the U.S. position.

Kim also spoke favorably about Trump last year while addressing North Korea’s Supreme People’s Assembly, saying he retained “fond memories” of the U.S. president. He said North Korea would have no reason to reject talks if Washington accepted the reality of its nuclear status and pursued peaceful coexistence.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Trump
Policy

Democrats Press Trump Over ‘Unprecedented’ Stock Trading Activity

Top Democrats are seeking answers from President Donald Trump about the unusually...

Donald Trump
Policy

Trump Sued Over Plan to Sell Early Access to Truth Social Posts

President Donald Trump was sued Wednesday by The Intercept Media and the...

President Trump Arrives In Ohio
Policy

Trump Says Secret Service Ordered Plane Swap Over Threat

President Donald Trump confirmed Tuesday that the Secret Service directed him to...

Mark Zuckerberg
Policy

Mark Zuckerberg Lays Out His Vision for a More Open AI Future

Mark Zuckerberg on Monday laid out his vision for the future of...