Friday , 21 August 2026
Home Business Policy Trump Announces 90-Day Tariff Break for Ground Beef
Policy

Trump Announces 90-Day Tariff Break for Ground Beef

Trump

President Donald Trump announced Friday that the United States will temporarily waive certain tariffs on ground beef imports for 90 days, as domestic beef prices climb and concerns over the cost of living remain a political challenge heading into the 2026 midterm elections.

Trump said in a post on Truth Social that the U.S. would permit as much as 300,000 metric tons of ground beef products to enter the country during the 90-day period without the out-of-quota tariff. He also said there is a commitment that the imported beef will be sold at 25% below current market prices. The administration did not immediately provide further details about which specific ground beef products would qualify for the tariff relief.

The announcement comes as Trump continues to face weak approval ratings on his handling of living costs. A Financial Times/Focaldata poll released earlier this week found that more than 53% of registered voters said they were financially worse off during Trump’s second term. The survey also showed voters were more likely to trust Democrats than Republicans to address inflation and the cost of living.

Ground beef prices have risen sharply as the U.S. faces a cattle shortage. The source article cites a July record of $6.89 per pound, while U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics data show Americans paying an average of $13.06 per pound, compared with $11.88 in July 2025 and $10.86 in July 2024.

The Trump administration previously delayed a planned suspension of beef import restrictions in May after concerns were raised by some Republicans and ranchers. Critics within the cattle industry argued that increased imports could further pressure an already struggling domestic sector. U.S. ranchers reduced herd sizes during the pandemic as livestock prices fell, operating and maintenance costs increased and drought conditions reduced available grazing land.

Trump has also taken other steps aimed at increasing beef supplies. Earlier this year, he signed an executive order expanding certain Argentine beef import quotas, a move that drew criticism from some cattle ranchers and Republican lawmakers representing ranching communities. The measure increased the tariff-rate quota for Argentine beef by 80,000 metric tons and applies specifically to lean beef trimmings, which are commonly used in ground beef production.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Doris Miller
Policy

Navy Weighs Renaming Carrier After Trump, Reports Say

U.S. Navy officials are reportedly considering renaming an aircraft carrier currently under...

Tesla
Policy

China Orders Tesla’s Biggest-Ever Recall of Nearly 3 Million Cars

Chinese regulators have ordered Tesla to address defects affecting nearly 3 million...

Angie Nixon Florida Senate campaign
Policy

Angie Nixon Wins Florida Democratic Senate Primary Upset

Florida state Rep. Angie Nixon, a democratic socialist, has won the Democratic...

Byron Donalds Florida governor campaign
Policy

Byron Donalds Wins GOP Primary in Race to Succeed DeSantis

Rep. Byron Donalds, R-Fla., has won the Republican primary for Florida governor,...