Friday , 21 August 2026
Home Business Policy China Orders Tesla’s Biggest-Ever Recall of Nearly 3 Million Cars
Policy

China Orders Tesla’s Biggest-Ever Recall of Nearly 3 Million Cars

Tesla

Chinese regulators have ordered Tesla to address defects affecting nearly 3 million vehicles, making the campaign the electric automaker’s largest recall to date and the biggest automotive recall ever conducted in China. The action comes amid concerns over emergency door-release mechanisms and driver-monitoring systems.

China’s State Administration for Market Regulation, or SAMR, said Friday that Tesla will recall 973,156 Model 3 vehicles produced between March 4, 2019, and April 29, 2026. The action also covers 1.96 million China-made Model Y vehicles manufactured from November 16, 2020, through April 30, 2026, along with more than 35,000 imported Model 3s, 8,000 Model X vehicles and 2,000 Model S cars. Altogether, the recall affects approximately 2.98 million vehicles.

According to Chinese regulators, the affected vehicles use emergency mechanical door releases that could be difficult for occupants to locate following a serious crash or a loss of electrical power. Tesla told SAMR it will address the issue by installing warning labels on the vehicles’ handles at no cost to owners.

In a separate recall announced by SAMR, Tesla must also repair 2.74 million China-made Model 3 and Model Y vehicles produced between March 2019 and December 2025. Regulators said a defect could prevent the driver-monitoring system from alerting drivers to keep their eyes on the road. Tesla plans to resolve that issue through an over-the-air software update.

Tesla has faced continued regulatory scrutiny in recent years, although many of the company’s recalls can be addressed remotely through software updates. In the United States, Tesla has issued five recalls so far this year, including one announced earlier this month involving 20,000 vehicles because of headlights that were too bright. In May, more than 218,000 Model 3, Model Y and Model S/X vehicles were recalled over a rear-camera problem.

The automaker, led by Elon Musk, is also facing a reported investigation by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration involving 1.2 million Tesla vehicles following reports of suspension failures that could potentially cause a “loss of vehicle directional control.” Tesla’s Autopilot self-driving system has separately been associated with hundreds of crashes and dozens of deaths.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Trump
Policy

Trump Announces 90-Day Tariff Break for Ground Beef

President Donald Trump announced Friday that the United States will temporarily waive...

Doris Miller
Policy

Navy Weighs Renaming Carrier After Trump, Reports Say

U.S. Navy officials are reportedly considering renaming an aircraft carrier currently under...

Angie Nixon Florida Senate campaign
Policy

Angie Nixon Wins Florida Democratic Senate Primary Upset

Florida state Rep. Angie Nixon, a democratic socialist, has won the Democratic...

Byron Donalds Florida governor campaign
Policy

Byron Donalds Wins GOP Primary in Race to Succeed DeSantis

Rep. Byron Donalds, R-Fla., has won the Republican primary for Florida governor,...